Tuesday, November 08, 2005

News from Nowra


Oh, whiter than the surf was she
That breaks those coasts along;
And redder than the coral tree
That grows by Gerringong;
And graceful as the springing palm
On Illawarra hills;
And sweeter than the meadow balm
By cool Shoalhaven rills.

E.J. Brady, "Keira"

On Friday afternoon I drove my car down the hill from Nowra and rounded the bend that brought me out of the tall trees on the ridge and into view of the lush Waterslea paddocks on the banks of the Shoalhaven river. What a breathtaking sight, and a great precursor to a fantastic weekend!
It was the annual retreat of the Southern Cross Crazies. Those of you with whom I was lucky enough to share the past four days will be impatient to see more pictures, especially of underpants, and I promise I will get them up as soon as I can -- look out for further instalments over the next few days. Meantime, I have a lot of catching up on work to do today, so just enjoy these pictures.

2 comments:

Kevin Rosero said...

Very cool photo, really nice. If I'm not mistaken, you have a little rainbow running between the horns of the moon. Terrific.

beche-la-mer said...

Thanks Kevin,

I was pretty disappointed -- three nights waaaay out in the country and it was overcast, if not actually raining, the whole time. So no stargazing at all. I did like the way the clouds made the moon glow like this, though.
Of course, my pathetic rainbow is not as good as the Bad Astronomer's naked science show.