Thursday, December 22, 2005

Moon Rock 6

For those of you who have been interested in my moon embroidery, I apologise for the lack of updates in recent weeks. I have been working on it, but my trip to China interfered with my ability (and time) to upload images. And, of course, one is not allowed to do embroidery on planes any more, even if one has one of those groovy safe thread cutters with the blade inside a metal disk, because sharp, pointy needles are sooooo dangerous (although Amanda Vanstone can do a lot more damage with an HB pencil). But now my moonscape is finished: at least, the embroidery part of it is finished.
















Here is the original image (from a document released by NASA/JPL) for comparison:





















I have washed the embroidery in mild detergent, stretched it in the hoop again, and found an appropriate round cardboard box to attach it to. The next step is to stitch the embroidery to the box lid, pad it and then find some ribbon or braid to trim the edge of the lid and hide the excess fabric. More photos to come!
I will also accept suggestions as to what I can keep in the box when I have finished it.

4 comments:

Maureen said...

What to keep in your box - why your collection of moonstones!

Grangry said...

Beche, this is just gorgeous!

Kevin Rosero said...

It's very nice work.

Nicky said...

Hi there! Do you ever sell your pieces like this? My Dad has been working at NASA for more than 25 years and he would get such a kick out of a gift like your Moon Rock project! Let me know: nicky.manulik at gmail.com

Thanks and great work!